|Our Historic Street
Jump to streets beginning with:
A - B -
C - D -
E - F -
G - H -
J - K -
L - M -
N - O -
P - Q -
R - S -
The following list of historic Middleridge street
names was compiled by Kay and John Gilbert with supplements from
Andrews Chapel Court
In the 1850's many new churches were built in Fairfax County,
including a Methodist on, Andrew Chapel, in Vienna. After the war the Government
paid a claim to repair the damage to the chapel by Union soldiers. It is located
on Route 7 at Trap Road.
Anne Peake Drive
Ann Peake married Frances Adams in 1777. He was a trustee of the
town of Centreville, when it was formed in 1792. They owned a lovely home,
Mt. Gilead, which was uses as a general's residence during the war and is
a private residence today.
Captain Charles Broadwater came to Virginia in 1715 and acquired
1701 acres of Northern Neck grants. He was one of the first five Vestrymen
elected to Truro Parish and served until his death in 1733. His son and heir,
Charles, was a Vestryman from 1744 to 1765 and served as a Justice
of the Peace Fairfax County beginning in 1749. (The following
information provided by Jim Tully) Charles Broadwater also served as the
County Sheriff is 1751 and 1755. R. F. Broadwater served as the County
Sheriff is 1874.
Clara Barton Court
Clara Barton tended to the wounded of the Second Battle of Manassas,
August 29-30, 1862, at St. Mary's Church and Fairfax Station railroad depot.
The wounded were brought there from the battlefield for transport by train
to hospitals. Clara Barton later founded the American Red Cross.
This segment of street in Middleridge is a continuation from Country
Club View, and has no known historic significance to the community.
George Deneale erected a home called Innisvail in Fairfax Station
about 1770. He was the first Fairfax County clerk, after the new court house was
built in Providence in 1800. Providence was the name of the town before it
became Fairfax. William Deneale served as sheriff of Fairfax County in
Earp's Corner Place
The Earp family came from Maryland and opened a tavern before
1742, known as Earp's Ordinary. It became so popular that the area around
it was known as Earp's Corner. Tolls for the Little River Turnpike were collected
there. George Washington was a guest on one of his surveying trips for Lord
Fairfax. It is still standing, the pink house at 237 Main Street, just east
of University Drive.
Thomazen Ellzey was a planter-lawyer, who owned a large tract
of land in this area, including what is now Brecon Ridge. He gave the land,
including the "middle ridge", where Payne built his church.
Lewis Elzey was sheriff of Fairfax County in 1742 and 1749.
Francy Adams Court
Francy Adams was one of the first Justices of the Peace (Gentleman
Justices) in the new Court House of Fairfax in April 1800.
Gov Yeardley Drive
Governor Yeardley was one of Virginia's first colonial governors.
In 1619 he organized and presided at the first representative assembly in
an English colony.
Hill Cumorah Drive
(The following information provided by Debi Corbatto) History not known as it relates to Middleridge
but Hill Cumorah has importance to Mormons.
(The following was provided by
Russell Klosk) I don't know if this is what Hill Cumorah in Middleridge was named after or not,
and I'm not Mormon so I don't know very much about the Book of Mormon, but Hill
Cumorah has a lot of prevalence to that.
on the Mormon website
for source of information.
There is actually a Hill Cumorah in upstate New York that holds special
significance to the Church of Later Day Saints.
Perhaps the person laying out the road names was a Mormon? Since the names of
the people associated with street names in our neighborhood are all persons who
predate the "divine appearance" witnessed by John Smith that gave birth to the
Mormon faith it is unlikely that any tie in can be found in that manner. I know
of no tie to Virginia with the Church of Later Day Saints, but perhaps the
Mormon Church on West Ox might know more..
James Halley Drive
James Halley was born in 1707 and received a 690 acre grant of
land on the North side of South Run Pohick in 1742. He voted in Fairfax County
1744-68, and his will was probated in 1792. He was one of the men ordered
by the Court in 1752 to mark the way for clearing a road west from Alexandria
to Rocky Run, which became Braddock Road.
John Ayres Drive
John Ayres drew the plans for and estimated the cost of building
Paynes Church. He served as a Colonel in the Revolutionary War.
John Turley Place
John Turley was given a land grant of 453 acres in 1727 on Sandy Run. He
was a Vestryman of Truro Parish 1749 until his death in 1756.
Joshua Davis Court
Joshua Davis was an attorney who served as a Justice in the Court
of Richmond County. There are records of his name in 1676, 1692 and as Justice
The Kipp's sold some of their land to Foster Brothers for
construction of Section 12 of Middleridge.
"Landmarks of Old Prince William" written by Fairfax Harrison in 1924 is
a well used history of the area, basic to any historical research.
"Middlegate Farm" was the 20th century name given to the
farm know as Walney that existed in Centreville from the 1770's. In 1935, David
and Ellanor C. Lawrence bought the 678 acre estate, and proceeded to turn it
into a lovely home, preserving the natural beauty of the land. Upon their
deaths, it was donated to Fairfax County and is known as the Eleanor C. Lawrence
Mt. Vineyard Court
Mt. Vineyard was the name of the Ratcliff home. Ratcliff was a
large landowner, on whose land most of the town of Fairfax was built. He
sold the 4 acres for the Court House for the sum of $1. The original home
burned, but the family graveyard is still on Moore Street.
The County of Fairfax was formed in 1742, separating it from Prince
William county. The Court House was to be built in Springfield, between Ox
and New Church Roads in the area of what is now Tyson's Corner.
Oak Park Court
There was a beautiful oak park at the Ravensworth mansion, built
by William Fitzhugh in 1800. The mansion was destroyed by fire in 1924 and
all traces of it and the park disappeared with the 1960's housing
Paynes Church Drive
Edward Payne's home was on the "middle ridge" near Ox Road. In
1766 he undertook to build the church for the people of Truro Parish living
in the area south of the future town of Fairfax. The church was destroyed
by Federal troops, who used its bricks for their winter hearths. A small
frame church, Jerusalem Baptist, still stands on the original foundation.
William Payne served as sheriff of Fairfax County in 1743 and 1797.
William Payne, Jr. served as sheriff of Fairfax County in 1761
Quincy Marr Drive
Captain Quincy Marr, from Warrenton, was a representative in Richmond
in 1861. He returned home to organize "Warrenton's Rifles', a company of
infantry to uphold secession. He was the first Confederate officer to be
killed, in a battle at Fairfax Courthouse on June 1, 1861. A monument was
erected to him in 1904 on the Court House grounds.
Rippon Lodge Drive
Richard Blackburn came from Rippon, England and built Rippon Lodge
in 1725, north of Neabsco creek and south of Occoquan, with a commanding
view of the Potomac. Blackburn planned his house and Mount Vernon.
'Mt. Vineyard' later became know as the Rumsey Place. The Rumsey's
were a prominent family in the mid-1800's.
Shooters Hill Lane
Shuter's Hill was the beautiful family home and cemetery of Ludwell
and Flora Lee, who often entertained General and Mrs. Washington. It was located
on the site of George Washington National Masonic Memorial in Alexandria.
Federal troops built a Civil War fortification on the site and destroyed the
remains of the home. Fairfax Harrison in his "Landmarks" spells
it Shooters Hill.
The following was provided by
There was a Jeremiah Spurlock, aged 86,
listed in the 1790 Census. The Census listed his address as Fairfax, Virginia.
William Spurlock was born in Montgomery County Virginia approx 1687. He
married Anna Toney. William Spurlock was given the land grant to what is current
day Henrico County Virginia by the British Monarch, and was an early settler of
the Commonwealth. The family still exists today, and was influential in the settlement of
Kentucky. His grandson (also William) settled Harlan County, KY and most of the
family is still there. Check
Spurlock Family for more details.
William Stanhope was one of the first Justices of the Peace (Gentlemen
Justices) in the new Court House after 1800. (The following information
provided by Jim Tully) In 1800, William Stanhope served as Sheriff of
This cul-de-sac is located on a crest overlooking the "new" Woodglen
Willcoxon Tavern Court
This was a well know tavern built by Captain Willcoxon, who came
from Maryland. It was located on the corner across from the Court House,
where the National Bank of Fairfax is now located.
If anyone knows the history
of Hill Cumorah or Spurlock Court,
please let us
Again thanks to Kay and John Gilbert and to the other contributors for this historic information.